Richards stated the following in her video announcement on stepping down from the country’s largest abortion provider: “Planned Parenthood has helped tens of millions take control of their health and their futures by providing birth control, pap smears, breast exams, STI testing and treatment, and safe, legal abortion.”
Those words are ironic, given the information in their latest annual report. Vitae Foundation’s most recent Right Brain research study conducted with loyal Planned Parenthood customers demonstrates that women go there initially for contraception and then for abortion. While many customers talk about how Planned Parenthood offers other forms of “healthcare,” their actual experience with the organization is usually tied to contraception and abortion. This backs up the trend that occurred throughout Richards’ tenure at Planned Parenthood: decreased healthcare services and increased abortion services.
“The women we interviewed acknowledged that abortion does not cure a disease or treat an illness; has harmful emotional, physical, spiritual and social effects; and that Planned Parenthood does not follow current healthcare ‘best practices.’ Although the interviews and numbers show that Planned Parenthood offers some limited health services, it is becoming ever-more obvious that ‘healthcare,’ for Planned Parenthood, has long served as a front for the organization’s real business and profit-center which is abortion,” stated Vitae’s Research Director Jeff Pauls, Ph.D.
Thanks to the Susan B. Anthony List, who crunched the following numbers in PP’s annual report.
Over the past five years, Planned Parenthood has seen large declines in non-abortion services, massive losses of clientele, and rapid facility closures. Further, as you will see below, even though they purport to be a provider of medical services other than abortion, their annual reports over the past five years prove otherwise.
- Total services dropped from approximately 11,033,366 to 9,537,592 – a decline of more than 1.4 million.
- Prenatal care services have dropped by more than 11,500 – a change of over 60%.
- Total cancer screening and prevention services have dropped by more than 460,580 – a 41% decline. This includes declines of approximately 39% for breast exams and 43% for pap tests.
- Contraceptive services have dropped from 3,724,558 to 2,701,866 – a decline of nearly one million.
- The number of abortions has remained steady over the five-year period. Planned Parenthood performed 327,166 in 2012-2013 and 321,384 in 2016-2017. Over the past five years, they have performed more than 1.6 million abortions. All this while total abortions are dropping across the country.
- Planned Parenthood performed approximately 126 abortions (1,628,550) for every adoption referral (12,879) over that same period.
- Unique patients have dropped by 600,000 – a 20% decline.
- Approximately 100 (14% of the total) Planned Parenthood facilities have closed their doors, despite record income.
If you are a visual person, then check out this infographic produced by the Charlotte Lozier Institute.
For more on Richards’ departure from Planned Parenthood, read the LifeSiteNews.com article.
Please help Vitae continue its mission of reaching abortion-minded women so they don’t get caught up in Planned Parenthood’s web and a make a decision they will ultimately regret. Donate now.